Re: [OM] Super Telephoto

Subject: Re: [OM] Super Telephoto
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 12:57:06 EDT
GPaul64@xxxxxxx writes:
<< BW wrote:
 << I also have a Tamron 300mm f2.8
  that I pull out first in low light and change to the 300mm Zuiko when / if
 the light permits. >>
 Hello Buddy,
 Sounds like you feel the  300 4.5 Zuiko is superior to your 300 2.8 Tamron at
 equal apertures?   Quite an endorsement considering how well-respected the
 Tamron is supposed to be.
 Regards, Greg Logiodice
 PS- great work on the gallery - I especially like the Grand Tetons shot.   >>

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the nice comments on the gallery, especially coming from one who's
work I admire myself.  Great work to you.
As far as the 300 Zuiko Vs the Tamron goes.  I should say that the jury is
still out on this one.  I do feel that the 300 f 4.5 is an extremely sharp
lens " if I do my part".  What I mean is, some of my slides with this lens are
incredibly SHARP!!! while others are on the soft side.  I mostly contribute
this to 'operator error,' probably support and improper focus.  But, the fact
is, I KNOW WHAT THIS LENS CAN DO.  So, I have a lot of confidence in it.
The Tamron 300 f 2.8 is a fairly new lens for me, I have only shot a few rolls
with it.  The biggest problem is it's size.  The Pro's are it 1&1/3 f stop
gain and the addition of it's matched 1.4 (420mm f 4) and 2x(600 f 5.6) TC's
making it a versatile lens.  As far as picture quality, I have been pleased.
Can I say, it is as good as my 300 Zuiko or even better.  I honestly don't
know.
I have watched this list talk about which lens is better than another with a
bit of caution.  Especially the most recent one on the 180 f2.8, (since my
wife just gave me a new one for my BD a couple of weeks ago).  I feel that the
lens / picture quality is so good from the lens I use that technique is far
more important than which lens I shoot.
I hope you don't think I am beating around the bush, I bought the Tamron 300 f
2.8 for one main reason - It's faster than what I have and it is truly a
professional quality lens.
BW