Re: [OM] Received the 100/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Received the 100/2.8
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:17:18 -0500
At 01:33 PM 8/22/1998 +0200, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>I have received the Zuiko 100/2.8 but I am not too jolly about it. Now,
>the lens looks great outside, including the front and rear glass. The
>diaphragm are clean and it opens and closes easily without any problem.
>What bothers me is that the glass just behind the front glass have some
>dust on it. No one of my other lenses has this, so I am not sure how
>this would effect a photo (slide, as any particle will be shown much
>more on slides than on prints).
>I am fussy about lenses so maybe you all think I am overreacting, on the
>other hand it was cheap so I should have guessed...

Hi Ingemar,

In the limited understanding of lenses and light I possess, I don't think
some dust and specks pose a very significant problem.

My suggestion would be this:  shoot a roll of slide film with this lens.
Handhold, tripod, flash -- do it all.  See what you think.  If you like
what you see and like what you paid, great. If not, send it back. If you
like what you see but want to send it back because of some specks, don't
take suggestions from me because our values don't mesh.

One of the greatest lenses I own is a gnarly, beat up, scratched N*kk*r
pre-AI 85/f1.8. Positively ugly, but it produces evanescent photographs.
If I could just get it to work with an OM1.

Joel