Re: [OM] More eBay crazyness

Subject: Re: [OM] More eBay crazyness
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:32:41 -0700
>Gary Reese wrote:
[snip]
>IMHO, the box is worth $14 and multicoating is worth $20.  The RESALE value
of
>a 50 mm f/1.4 Zuiko is quite well set, as follows:
>condition | Resale Value | Asking Price
>6  $31  ($50)
>7-8  $43  (<=$89)
>9  $55  ($49-89)
>10-  $57  ($79-95)
>10 w/o box  $65  ($119)
>10 w/ box  $79

Gary,

I find your figures interesting. You are not allowing a lot of difference
for condition, or for multicoating. In your example, the difference between
a 7-8 and a 9 is $12, and between a 9 and a 10 is only $10. With the
scarcity of some Oly lenses, condition would, I think, definitely come into
play. There are going to be many more 9s than 10s for example, and a 10
would bring a fairly hefty premium over a 9 or an 8. MC follows almost the
same path. Most Oly lenses were SC prior to the early eighties. And from the
sales pattern that appears to be in place for new Oly lenses, I would think
that many more Zuikos were sold between 1972 and 1982 than between 1982 and
1998. That means that in general the MC version of a particular lens is more
rare than the SC.

Of course if MC or condition are not that important to an individual, then
they would not be willing to pay a premium. Personally I have found the MC
versions to be less flare prone and have higher contrast than their SC
cousins. For me that is enough reason to want only MC whenever possible.
Condition is also an important aspect, for me. Given a choice, I will take a
10 every time over a 9 or 8, even if that means I end up paying more. I
suppose I derive a certain type of pleasure from using a superb example of a
Zuiko, and I believe the 10s will always be saleable at a higher price than
the 8s or 9s. Kind of an investment, if you will. I think this will
definitely hold true when Oly discontinues the OM series and they become
true collectors items. :-) I will admit I have to be very careful at times
when using my gear, to avoid scratches or dents, and that can be a pain in
the tush. One of the pitfalls of owning and using 10s I suppose. Anyway, we
each have our opinion, and I'm sure individual list members will feel one
way or the other. As you say, your mileage may vary.

Regards,
John Austin