Re: [OM] Oly FS -- FYI

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly FS -- FYI
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:00:23 -0800
Jan Steinman wrote:

[snip]
>I sent a guy a check for an OM-4T last week. He sent me email saying
>it would "go right out." I'm still waiting. Maybe he sent it by camel.
>Maybe he had an accident while driving to the post office. Maybe, maybe,
>maybe... Doubt and uncertainty also has a value, albeit more difficult
>to quantify than risk.

Relax, man! (you are a male, right? if not -- my sincere apologies)
The seller may be waiting for your check to clear, or he may have sent
the package UPS ground, or ...  I mean, there is no reason to go into
a cardiac arrest for a few lousy bucks, right?  Just kidding!! :-)

Btw, did you get the guy's address AND phone number?  Did you pay with
secure funds?  Were you given a decent tryout period, and MBG in case
of problems?  Do you have all your communication on the subject in
writing?  If your answers to the above are positive, then you have
little to worry about.

A propos paying with a personal check, when I sell to people on the
net (many of whom are on this list, so pls feel free to support me
here :-)), I often agree to accept personal checks as a payment --
just to show the buyers who after all prepay for the merchandise that
I am prepared to carry at least some of the risk involved in an over
the net transaction.  Usually, I don't wait for a check to clear, and
for customers from this list I've often gone well beyond that.

>>>Caveat Emptor!
>>
>>I like better: "Nothing ventured -- nothing gained" :-)
>
>Which is my point exactly: buying used gear is a gamble, and buying it from
>individuals is (on average) more of a gamble than buying it from dealers.

Actually, buying from individuals should not be a gamble, unless you
let it become one. In fact, with an individual seller, you as a buyer
are much more in control -- think about it!  Moreover, John P. made
many useful suggestions on the subject, that I totally agree with.
Of course, too much communication may lead to an "inappropriate
relationship", so pls exercise caution :-)

Good luck with that OM-4T.  I hope you'll get it soon (that is, unless
my secret agents at USPS/UPS/FedEx/etc. intercept it :-> )

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx