Re: [OM] Super Telephoto

Subject: Re: [OM] Super Telephoto
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 07:16:53 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-22 13:02:23 EDT, BW wrote:

<<
 As far as the 300 Zuiko Vs the Tamron goes.  I should say that the jury is
 still out on this one.  I do feel that the 300 f 4.5 is an extremely sharp
 lens " if I do my part".  What I mean is, some of my slides with this lens
are
 incredibly SHARP!!! while others are on the soft side.  I mostly contribute
 this to 'operator error,' probably support and improper focus.  But, the fact
 is, I KNOW WHAT THIS LENS CAN DO.  So, I have a lot of confidence in it.
 The Tamron 300 f 2.8 is a fairly new lens for me, I have only shot a few
rolls
 with it.  The biggest problem is it's size.  The Pro's are it 1&1/3 f stop
 gain and the addition of it's matched 1.4 (420mm f 4) and 2x(600 f 5.6) TC's
 making it a versatile lens.  As far as picture quality, I have been pleased.
 Can I say, it is as good as my 300 Zuiko or even better.  I honestly don't
 know.
 I have watched this list talk about which lens is better than another with a
 bit of caution.  Especially the most recent one on the 180 f2.8, (since my
 wife just gave me a new one for my BD a couple of weeks ago).  I feel that
the
 lens / picture quality is so good from the lens I use that technique is far
 more important than which lens I shoot.
 I hope you don't think I am beating around the bush, I bought the Tamron 300
 2.8 for one main reason - It's faster than what I have and it is truly a
 professional quality lens.
 BW >>

Hi Buddy,

Thanks for the reply.   No, you're not beating around the bush.  In fact, I
think you are right on the money.   I think if everyone used the best
technique possible, we would hear an awful lot less about "bad" lenses.  Even
a modest consumer grade lens can get it's share of compliments if used
carefully.    To steal a line from a website I found somewhere, "it's not the
arrow, it's the archer".   It's that rationale that keeps me using my OM stuff
- maybe it's not the latest wiz-bang camera and lens outfit out there, but
used carefully, I can get results as good or better than anything out there.
Admittedly, the latest pro stuff does give one a little more latitude
concerning proper technique, but not enough yet to get me trade my stuff in.

Having said that, as you get more time with your Tamron, I would still be
interested in your comments ;-) .    Good luck with it in the meanwhile, and I
look forward to your next Oly gallery submissions.

Regards,

Greg Logiodice
Nyack, NY