Re: [OM] B&H and reputability...

Subject: Re: [OM] B&H and reputability...
From: The Family <fotolady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:25:33 -0400
>I can second this opinion of Camera Traders Ltd.
     <snip>
>  This is in
>direct contrast from an outfit in Bryn Mawr, PA called Genesis Camera.
>They have lots of interesting stuff listed at good prices, but when you
>call, they invariably don't have the item listed in the ad (but have one
>in better condition at a much higher price --- convenient, huh?).
>
>Cheers,
>--Lee

Hi Lee.   Same good words about Camera Traders here too.  Lots of obscure
OM and decent prices if you're on foot in Manhattan.  Genesis has also been
good for me at the shows.  Their 300mm/4.5 at $375 had mint glass and I've
bought 2 bodies and lenses from them for the kids and it's all been perfect
and below their advertised price at the show.  They have been very open to
let me take bodies and lenses outside and run test rolls.  Again this is at
the shows here in the NJ/PA area.  Sorry your experience wasn't so good.
Also since they are one of the few dealers beside P*t who take much of
their used inventory to shows (and move a lot of inventory) a large portion
of what gets posted in the magazines is gone by the time we see it.

At B&H, one has to run through the current sale/inventory flier on the used
desk.  It's there for our use and is far more up to date than anything else
they publish.  I picked up a mint late production Chinon 200mm/f3.5
multicoated with new caps and shade for my son's trip to Europe for $69.
It wasn't in the regular fliers but was in the desk copy.  Same goes for
those grab boxes and camers bags.  So many deals, so few trips.

This must be frustrating for those down under and way out there.
We feel your pain....kinda :)

Jim in Delaware