[OM] Anyone interested in cooperating in a bulk purchase?

Subject: [OM] Anyone interested in cooperating in a bulk purchase?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:58:42 -0600
Hi, everybody.

At various times in the past, I've found that storing my lenses, filters etc.
in heavy plastic bags with moisture absorption packets of silica gel scavenged
from new electronics packaging, camera/lens packaging, etc., has prevented the
growth of fungus on the glass.  However, for various reasons, the packets I've
used over the years have slowly become "non-functional" (i.e., no longer
capable of absorbing moisture and no longer capable of being "re-charged" by
putting them into a low oven for a few hours to "cook" the moisture out of
them).

So, I phoned my local shipping supply company, hoping to locate a few of these
little gems for my precious glass.  Sure enough, they do sell them, in various
sizes, the smallest being sufficient to absorb moisture in a 90-cubic-inch area
until the ambient humidity is well below the 40% "danger zone" where fungus can
take hold.  This is perfect for almost any lens I can think of, sealed in a
plastic bag.  Unfortunately, there's just one hitch.

They come in tubs of 300, and the tubs cost $197.00 Canadian.

Anybody on this list interested in obtaining some of these things?  If so, and
in the spirit of my earlier offer to ship out mercury batteries to all the
erstwhile OM-1(n) owners on this list, I propose that I go buy this tub, and I
can split 'em up into sealed plastic bags of ten or twenty or whatever someone
wants.  I'd sell them at cost (approximately, given the various exchange rates
I'd face), and ship 'em at cost as well.  Any takers?  Please let me know in
private e-mail -- there's no point in filling up the list with replies.

Hope someone's interested.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/