[OM] Ethics Revisted

Subject: [OM] Ethics Revisted
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:34:33 EDT
Hi all:

Recently I expressed my opinion that setting high reserves on eBay, having no
one meet the reserve price and then soliciting unsuccessful bidders was poor
ethics.  I had a hunch that certain companies/sole proprieters were doing this
as standard operating procedure.  Here is an example of such by the so-called
Pittsburg Camera Exchange (a.k.a. Bernies Photo), who doubiously claims to
have the largest stock of used camera equipment.  Note that my unsuccessful
high bid was $92.00, with 19 bids submitted:
******
Thank you for bidding on this item.  The reserve on this item was $155.00.
If you are interested in the item at this price, please send us your zip
code so that we may figure out the cost of S&H to your home or business.

We will reserve this item until you have had a chance to refuse it, before
offering it to the next highest bidder.

Thank you for your consideration,
***end***

Gary Reese