Re: [OM] Mirror lenses: CATs and dogs

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lenses: CATs and dogs
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:32:32 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:14:55 -0800 you write:

>The fuzzy car lights and their spectral dispersion are unfortunate
>by-products of the mirror lenses construction, which the Solid Cat
>exhibits to much lesser degree than the more conventional RF lenses.
>I'm not sure whether it is feasible to build apochromatic CATs, and

Humm.. Well, most mirror lenses are a Maksutov design, which uses a
front corrector plate (the Oly 500mm is one such lens).  This corrector
plate is so optically weak (it only serves to correct spherical
aberration) that it should not introduce any lateral color.  I think the
fuzzy car light images are more likely caused by the central obstruction
in the lens causing out of focus stuff that is round to look like a
donut instead of a blur.

Cheers,
--Lee