Re: [OM] Airport detectors

Subject: Re: [OM] Airport detectors
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 23:10:40 EDT
In a message dated 8/24/98 1:21:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Winsor Crosby wrote:

 > How about shielded film bags? Do they offer any protection? I used one
 > about 2 years ago when I went to England. While I did not get any hand
 > inspection the bag did not seem to cause any consternation. The bag was a
 > cloth bag with what feels like about a half pound of foil interlining.

 It may be worse than nothing. Assume that the bag shields the film, it
 shows as a blank blob on the detector screen. The secuity officer will
 be cautious and up the X-ray level to try to see if there is anything
 dangerous inside, quite possibly passing way past any safe level for
 the film.
 > Winsor >>

Hi All,
There is an article in the Sept issue of Outdoor Photographer on page 28 by
Leonard Lee Rue III.  He says the new X ray machines "automatically" up the
power by 3 times when lead lines bags or anything suspicious are scanned.  He
states it will ruin any film and Kodak has just received a warning.  The new
machines are call "Technologies CTX-5000. The article continues talking about
the new limits of 1 carry on and the problem for professional photographers.
BW