Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:48:25 -0700
On 26 Aug 98, at 10:38, Marc wrote:

> Anyway, my question is, should I be happy with this camera, or be
> looking at new. The OM40 seems to be fairly good (with the ESP
> metering and all), but otherwise it is a fairly basic camera (?)
> If I was to look at buying a new camera, what should I be looking for
> at about the $1,000 (Australia) mark. To give everyone an idea of
> comparison, a Canon EOS 50 & 50E are about the price range I am looking
> at (oh, and BTW these are cameras I
> am considering, if I can offer such blasphemy on the OM list :) )
No you can't. You must leave at once, but first surrender all your OM gear...
;-)

> Basically, while my skill levels don't justify a camera of such
> a standard now, I'd prefer to buy a camera now that I don't reach
> the limits of, and so have to buy another. This from buying stupid
> cameras in the past. That is, Im looking for
> a 20year ownership camera. My preference is for new rather than second
> hand.
>
> Any opinions on the matter would be appreciated.

I can understand your wanting to buy new, but I question whether
any plastic bodied, auto everything camera could be considered a
"20 year camera" Like so many other electronic devices, most
modern AF cameras are designed to last only until their features
become obsolete, maybe a bit longer. (My Dad's N*k*n 2020
bought in 1985 has had two major repairs, the last one nearly
$500, and he hardly even uses it!) You may think you are avoiding
the eventual discontinuance of the OM line, and the scarcity and
gross inflation of OM gear that will follow, but consider C*n*n's
past: just because you buy into the current EOS system, what's to
stop them from introducing another new, vastly improved system in
5-10 years, making your 20year body obsolete well before it's time
is due?

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when I spend big $ on something,
I like it to last, like my 20 year old stereo, which still outperforms
anything in its class, or my Oly stuff. Even my entry level OM-10
has performed very well in lots of rough conditions since new in
1985, and still looks near new, works fine (except a sticky shutter).
When I pick up a featherweight C*n*n AF, I just don't get that long
lasting feeling...

Just my thoughts...

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx