Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 on ebay - $350!?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250 on ebay - $350!?
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 23:31:48 -0700
>From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On 25 Aug 98, at 17:16, Matthew J. Cordery wrote:
>>
>> This guy's dreaming. I sold a mint one for @275 and thought that pretty
>>fair.
>> He's hallucinating if he thinks he's getting more than that too...
>>
>*and* he has a *reserve*!!  I think this guy's been watching
>Pittsburgh Camera for too long...

It's my fault. He posted to some forsale newsgroup, asking what the lens
was worth for a friend of his. I gave him the Farrar numbers (I think $310
to $430), then told him I would offer $250.

A few days later, I got an early morning call from a woman who lives on the
east coast and doesn't understand the rotation of the earth. She wanted to
know if I could go any higher, because the lens was "mint." I told her that
I normally don't buy mint, because after a few weeks of my use, it would be
a 7- anyway :-) and suggested that she put it on eBay, because there were a
lot of fools there who were loose with their money.

The guy then emailed back, a bit irate with me because he said I had wasted
his friend's time with an offer that wasn't "serious." I said it was as
serious as could be, lacking a "serious" counter-offer, and again suggested
that he put it on eBay.

So this saga may be interesting to watch. They are obviously not
sophisticated eBay users -- no photo, no quotes from photo magazines
praising the lens, no feedback rating, etc. :-) Any bets as to how high it
will go?

Regarding the $1000+ fisheye and shift: there was a "mint" 24 shift in The
Oregonian want ads a couple weeks ago "$850 OBO." I wish I had bought it
just as an investment, then immediately put it on eBay! :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229