Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: Fredrik "Mörk" <fmork@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 07:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

> What to look for. Here's a list.
> The ability to go to manual. Auto is not always
> correct. Depth of field preview button. (Canon EOS
> apparantly has this, but it takes
> about a dozen moves to get it so I am told)
> Cable shutter release.
> Spot metering.
> TTL flash would be a nice option.
>
> This is my list. I would add mirror lockup too.
> If you reach the limits of your camera, your relying
> on your equipment not
> your knowledge and artistic judgement.
>
> Foxy

Very good list. Thought I might add a few comments since I use both
the EOS and OM systems (hope it's not too off topic)...

All EOS cameras can go manual. I think this applies to virtually all
SLR's on the market..

The Depth of field preview on EOS cameras aren't always good. Not many
houses have a dedicated button for this (The EOS 1 does, and the older
EOS 600 does, and maybe a few others..) My EOS 5 has eye controlled
DOF, but it works only when using Non-continuous AF mode.

Cable shutter release is electronic on EOS, so you need a special
cable for it. However all bodies from the EOS 50 and up has a 2 sec
self timer, with mirror lock up, that works just as well for me.

The EOS 5 an above has spot metering, EOS 50 has a partial metering.

TTL flash goes for all EOS cameras..

Now, even though the EOS (or Nikon or whatever) might provide a lot of
nice features, I find that I use my OM-2 more and more. As a matter of
fact I tend to use my EOS only for shooting bird and wildlife. Nearly
all other subjects goes through the OM body.

Somebody said something like 'if you learn to take good pictures of
your favourite subject with the limited equipment you have, when you
get the 'real' equipment, it will really make a difference'.

Regards,

/fredrik