Re: [OM] Digital pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital pictures
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:28:42 -0700

--

Shawn;

There are options other than Cibachrome.  Both Fuji and Kodak have
processes for direct positive printing.  Both are cheaper than Ciba (now
called "Ilfochrome Classic", BTW), neither is reputed to be as good.
Then, of course, there are the high end processes such as Iris
(digitally-based), Evercolor and others which are in a league by
themselves at this point, price-wise at least.

My opinion is that you should know what you're getting.  If the counter
person doesn't know, keep asking til you find someone who does. As for
Cibachrome, many labs now are printing with a paper called "Ilfochrome
Rapid" which is a new, faster, cheaper version of Ilfochrome.  It is not
quite as good as the real thing (Classic).  You may add this to your
list of questions.

There are also pretty good mail order options. eg Slideprinter for one.
I've never used them but couple of friends have.  One friend is having
4x5 slides done to 16x20.  When I saw a particular 16x20 print of his, I
knew it could be printed much better.  I took his 4x5 slide home, made a
mask, and custom printed a 16x20 for him.  The difference was like night
and day.  What I'm saying here is that a custom Ciba is THE way to go to
get the best out of your slide.  "Machine-print" Cibas may be no better
than other options.

I hope this helps.

george  :>)