Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:08:24 -0500
>> When I pick up a featherweight C*n*n AF, I just don't get that long
>> lasting feeling...

>Now, am I wrong about this or do you disagree that buying an OM-1(N) or an
OM-2(N) is
>the only way to get a "20 year camera"?

I'm disagreeing with the notion that simplicity of circuits is the key to
longevity.  The advantages of all mechanical designs is that they are
relatively repairable.  Electronic wonder-bricks are mostly of the "swap and
trash" type of repairs.  John is able to fix an OM-1 meter, but he can't fix
a faulty circuit in an OM-2S.  Is one more reliable than the other?  I don't
think so.  The mechanical portions of the cameras are equally likely to fail
and the ruggedness is pretty much the same.  How about a C*n*n eeeeoooos
whatever (anything above a rebel):  The mechanicals are pretty much of a
rugged, reliable design mounted in a honeycombed polycarbonate body.  The
electronics are quite good and baring crib-death or EMP (don't use them too
close to spark plugs), they will last the 20 years easily.  After all,
functional A-1 and AE-1 bodies are everywhere.  The AE-1 wasn't any better
built than an OM-10 or frankly the OM-2000.

Is the OM-1 a twenty year camera?  Actually, it is probably a 50 year
camera.  After all, I hope to keep mine in usuable condition for another 20
years and it is over 20 years old already!

Initially, SLR designs were clearly designed for both professional use and
general public use.  Now there are two distinct levels of cameras.  The OM-1
was a pro camera by design.  However, the OM-10 was not.  The EOS-1n is a
pro camera by design, the Rebel is not.  I wouldn't worry about the
longevity of the pro level cameras of today.  The design is for rugged,
constant use in every imaginable weather condition.  If you compare the pro
cameras of today with the pro cameras of 20 years ago, you will see a
correlation.  Compare the consumer grade stuff of 20 years ago with today?
Again, you will find a correlation.  Even the mechanical stuff of yesterday
ends up in the trash bin.

Ken N.