Re: [OM] Digital pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital pictures
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:06:33 -0700
To my knowledge, the finest print from slide reproduction is tri-color dye
transfer printing.  Outraguously expensive, archival (mueseum) quality,
exquisite color fidelity.  Very nice if you can 1) afford it and 2) find the
artist/craftsman to do it for you.  Next best alternative is Ilfochrome
(Ciba) classic, custom hand-made using appropriate masking techniques.  Just
expensive, archival and exquisite color.  It is the only reason I keep my
chemical darkroom now.  The Fuji and Kodak direct positive materials are
inferior in evary regard.  I won't have them.

Digital reproduction is very good now.  I have A4 (8x10) prints, digitally
produced from negatives, that are every bit as good as the chemical
processed print.  They cost more.  Archival properties are at best the same,
probably worse - its too early to really tell yet.  They do not match a well
exposed slide properly printed to Ciba Classic materials.  I honestly know
of nothing that *can* match a well made Ciba.  Even the interneg route is
inferior (IMO) than a machine Ciba.  Having said that, in the hands of a
genuine craftsman, an interneg print can be pretty danged good. Where are
you most willing to compromise - cost, color fidelity, contrast fidelity,
archival storage, availability of materials, service and skills, and so
on....???  I guess if there was only one answer we would have the range of
choices.

John P

PS  Foxy - Always trust your instincts <g>
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.

Foxy <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wondered: