Re: [OM] 7mm Macro Extension Tube

Subject: Re: [OM] 7mm Macro Extension Tube
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:16:20 EDT
Hi Bob:

> When would something like this be useful?  How much effect will it have
>  and which lenses would be best suited to its use?

The shorter the focal length, the more effective this is in being able to
focus closer.  For example:

35 mm f/2.0 Zuiko
1:5.3 reproduction ratio normally
1:4.3 w/ 7 mm tube

28 mm f/2.8 Zuiko
1:6.3 normally
1:2.3 w/ 7 mm tube

24 mm f/2.8 Zuiko
1:6 normally
1:2 w/ 7 mm tube

But frankly, I can't remember having the desire to focus my wide angles closer
than normal, so mine is still looking for a reason for its existance.  Given
that it weighs close to that of the 25 mm tube, I'll opt to carry the latter,
which gets the 50 mm Macros to 1:1 (in a pinch) and offers a bit closer
focusing with telephoto lenses.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV