Cibachrome - was Re: [OM] Digital pictures

Subject: Cibachrome - was Re: [OM] Digital pictures
From: SiteMistic@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:52:54 EDT
In a message dated 8/27/98 9:45:35 AM Central Daylight Time, gma@xxxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< It's the trade name for a paper and chemical process to produce prints
 from slides.  Once owned (and developed?) by Ciba-Geigy, thus the name.
 Purchased from Ciba by Ilford years ago, they were forced by contractual
 agreement to get the Ciba out of the name, so it is now known as
 "Ilfochrome Classic"  but many folks still call it cibachrome for short. >>

    I remember when the process first came out in the mid 1970's. I went nuts
with it making prints from slides. The only bad thing about it when it first
came out was that it was so caustic, it came with these tablets that you
tossed in the used chemical to neutralize it before disposal. Otherwise your
plumbing was history. I quickly put in all plastic plumbing in my darkroom,
not because of the Cibachrome, but because the E-3 chemistry of the day
completely destroyed the metal plumbing.
    Ah, those were the days.....not!

Jim