Re: [OM] 180 mm f2.8 lens quality

Subject: Re: [OM] 180 mm f2.8 lens quality
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:55:42 EDT
Hi Paul,
I think I would take off the Skylight filter, shoot some good 50 or 100 asa
Slide film and make another evaluation before I returned the lens.
Here in the US, the 180mm f2.8 goes for around $450 to $550.00.
Hope your new lens works out for you.
BW

paul.vangossum@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Hello everybody,

 two weeks ago I bought a used Zuiko 180mm f2.8. I looks very good (no
 visible damage).

 Q1: I just shot my first film. I'm a bit disappointed. Of course it can be
 me. I'm not used to telephotography (I have a 135mm f3.5, but I don't use it
 that much). I suppose I'll have to learn to use this lens. On the prints
 (Kodak paper 13x18cm/5x7inch prints, Fuji superia 200 film, OM-1, 180mm f2.8
 + Skylight filter) I can see chromatic (purple) aberration where there is
 high contrast. I searched in the archives for other mails about this lens
 and I found a mail about purple halo's around stars. Is this a malfunction
 of some lenses (must it be repaired?) or is this a bad design of the lens
 (must it be returned?).

 Q2: I paid 18500BEF, which is about $500. The current new price in Belgium
 is 45000BEF ($1200). Did I pay too much for this lens?

 Paul. >>