Re: [OM] Digital pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital pictures
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:22:31 -0400
Even though Ilfochrome (formerly Ciba) prints are the prints I prefer to have
from slides, I am about to produce a number of dye-sub prints using my Laptop
and an Alps MD1300 printer.  In small sizes Ilfochrome prints are just cannot be
considered because of the high cost.  I use the Ciba only for exhibit prints and
sample prints where I can be fairly certain of sales (8x10 or larger)

In Baltimore, the machine prints from slides, technically called R(eversal)
prints, are $1.25 per print for the 31/2 x 5 inches size.  They even make 31/2x5
full-frame for $1.70 which I like because I tend to shoot without including
anything extra when shooting slides.

During my Scotland trips, I shot a lot through the bus window.  While a number
of them can be printed full frame, some certainly require cropping.  So I am
going to have these slides scanned onto the PhotoCD and using my Alps printer to
print up to 8x10.

Since the largest regular PhotoCD file size is about 18 Mb (full resolution),
this would give me an image of 7 x 10 at 298 dpi maintaining the file size.  The
resulting 8x10 print looks acceptable as long as I don't do any cropping of the
original.  Getting a PhotoCD done at pro resolution is costly, it costs about
$14.95 per scan with $23.50 for ProCD disk.   I would expect that high-end
digital prints using drum scans or pro PhotoCD scans at larger print sizes
should be good provided that the original slide is good.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/