Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:57:37 -0500
>> I would guess that it will be the LCDs that will kill the 3s and 4s.
Electronics
>> can last a very long time, but LCDs often die after 10yrs or so. The 1s
and 2s
>> (except 2S) will probably be going after all the later models are dead.
Don't
>> get rid of that 2N yet!
>
>How about the cameras with LED displays? LED normally last very long, but
why would
>LCD not? Just curious.

What a shame to know that my OM-2S will expire any day now.  I had hoped
that the LCDs would last ~forever~, but I guess that was a false hope.  It
is interesting that the oldest LCD OM is pushing 14 years old!  Mine is
probably 12 or 13 years old.  The only real problem I've had with the OM-2S
has been the ISO dial getting flaky.  But that also occured with the
OM-2(md).  Battery drain is still better than the current crop of
wonder-bricks.

I realize should the circuit board die in the OM-2S that it becomes a
paperweight collecting dust on the romance shelf.  But in the meantime I
will continue to use it extensively and enjoy the spot metering, program
mode, auto-on/off, its compatibility with any focus screen, smoother
winding...

Gosh, and nobody has mentioned how the meter movements can be damaged or
worse yet, give false readings while the camera is being moved around.
Modern electronics aren't all THAT bad.

Ken N.