Re: [OM] Northern lights

Subject: Re: [OM] Northern lights
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 18:13:18 +1000
>To the astrophotographers on this list, I ask: How is this phenomenon
>best recorded on film?  Where does this type of light fall within the
>spectrum?  I want to be able to record this with decent contrast, as
>well as showing some of the brighter stars.  (I have an OM-1, a 2S and
>28, 35, 40, 50  and 100 Zuikos and plenty of Kodachrome)

The other thing is the auroral oval  (where auroras are seen) varies with
the magnetic season. The sun's polarity changes every 11 years. The auroral
oval is biggest when the sun's magnetic field is at it's maximum. Garth told
the auroral story. Ions from the solar wind give the effect, so more
magnetism, larger auroral oval.

It is probably at it's maximum now. Solar min was summer 94-95 (I think). 6
1/2 years to solar max (from 95), and people not at latitudes greater than
60°+ can see them.

Foxy