Re: [OM] Northern lights

Subject: Re: [OM] Northern lights
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 18:40:45 +1000
>If a wave front were to hit an object wide enough, you might get a faster
than
>light display.  It wouldn't necessarily have to travel at the speed of
light
>to give the appearance of the speed of light, but have to be timed
correctly.
>The speed of the aurora display may relate to the wave front of the
electrons
>and not the speed of the particles.

To me, the speed of an aurora is it's rate of change. What speed does the
curtain move at? Magnetic aurora detectors consist of a coil (set up to be
cut by the earth's magnetic field) and the rate of change of it's current
output is monitored. They typically monitor an output from 0 Hertz to 10
Hertz.

Being a coil, if the field is constant there is 0 Hz output, at ) volts. As
auroral activity increases, the frequency and magnitute increase.

Foxy