Re: [OM] Using OM OTF in LF time exposures

Subject: Re: [OM] Using OM OTF in LF time exposures
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 07:58:43 -0700

Joel Wilcox wrote:

> At 03:28 AM 8/30/1998 EDT, you wrote:
> >Hi all:
> >
> >Here is an idea for those with large format (LF) equipment wishing to shoot
> >night shots with dynamic lighting (like fireworks).  Set up an automatic OM
> >camera with OFT metering next to the view camera.  Use the same film speed
> and
> >apertures in both and set the view camera to B.  Then use cable releases to
> >trip them both at the same time.  When you hear the OM shutter close, close
> >the shutter on the view camera.
> >
> >Last week I took some shots of the Saturday evening fireworks show at the
> >Stratosphere.  The juxtaposition of them and the tower, along with the street
> >and marque lights was breathtaking.  OFT exposures worked great.  So I just
> >had to return and shoot it with the 4x5.  Luckily I had already worked out
> the
> >angle and exposure details, the latter thanks to the OM-4.
> >
> >Gary Reese
> >Las Vegas, NV
> >
> Hi Gary,
>
> This is a great idea and supports my notion that Ansel Adams would have
> used an OM-4 -- for a light meter.
>
> You'll have to bear in mind that for some of us, however, the marquee
> lights say things like "Donutland" and "Emergency."
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Joel

Joel, Gary et al;

First, somehow that juxtaposition of marqee lights seems approprite!

Next, I like your idea, Gary.  The only problem I have is with the differing max
apertures and depth-of-field of the repspective lens types and how that affects
exposure.  For a 4x5, I typically stop down at least 3 stops to be sure of depth
of field.  So that would be a taking aperture of 16, on a lens with a max aper
of
5.6.  Now I know that my 4T has a max shutter time of 3 mins.  If I set it at
F/16
with 100 speed film, 3 mins doesn't seem like very much exposure at night.

Again, I do like the idea and will try it myself.  But can you provide a little
detail as to the particular settings you used to get good results??

thanks

george