[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #462

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #462
From: "Patrick W. Greenlee" <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 07:15:34 -0700
>Does anyone use the Databack's?  If so, I would be interested in hearing what
>the uses are and any pros & cons.

Beyond the obvious scientific datalogging uses I find, since I often use
multiple cameras on extended road trips, that putting the date on at least
one frame on each roll each day helps keep track of what was shot where
without having to become a total "duty nerd" about record keeping.  I
usually find time on the frame to be less useful,  E X C E P T  astrophotos
where having time on the first and or last frame of a sequence helps
someone with my lack of organization keep "ground truth" from getting too
far out of sync with my spotty records/memory.

Cons.  You betcha, there are cons!  Forget the bugger is on when taking a
sequence of "KEEPERS" and you will spend a lot of time trying to get rid of
those #%^*  @(umbers. (Pass the red eye pen, please.)  Not every scenic
or portrait "want's to be cropped sufficiently to lose the numbers.

Maybe the OM-5n will have the option of putting date, time, and perhaps
user entered data along the side of the negative in "mouse print", outside
of the picture area by the frame numbers.

Patrick