Re: [OM] Vivitar Ser.1 70-210 any good?

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar Ser.1 70-210 any good?
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:39:07 EDT
Hi Shawn:

The f/3.5 comes in two different flavors.  The one from the 1970's and a
reissue in the 1980's, along with a f/2.8~4.0  The latter has a smaller filter
diameter and I believe a less bulbous aperture ring at the base.  Either of
the latter are the ones I'd go for.  They all had reviews in old Modern
Photography magazines and the newer designs were superior enough to command a
feature story in a Keppler column.

I have experience with a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8~4.0 in Canon FD mount
and it is an equal to the Canon FD 70-210mm f/4.0, which speaks highly of it.
I sold hers for $99 (the Canon lens was lighter), which is the price you can
expect on it if you wait and watch.  Both modern models are often priced
around $139 at camera shows.  Some used equipment dealers have them marked up
to $189 in magazines, but that is their grey market new price!

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV