Re: [OM] Re: 200 f/4 and 200 f/5 again

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 200 f/4 and 200 f/5 again
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:45:03 EDT
Hi Tim:

I posted a comparison of the f/4 and f/5 about a month ago.  I don't recall
the title, though.  Maybe it isn't indexed yet.

I have both models.  The f/5 is harder to find used.  I ones I know of on the
used markets are either in need of an overhaul or overpriced.  I'm presently
looking for two more.

I reported the f/4 and f/5 as performing alike.  I did recently notice some
obvious chromatic aberration at what might have been an f/5 shot (with the
f/5).  I'll have to do some controlled testing to confirm this.  I believe I
also said that both were film limited in resolution through much of their
aperture range.  I now think that they might just plateau (at a usefully high
but not great resolution and contrast) and seem to be film limited.  One would
have to move to a telephoto with ED glass to get an increase in performance.

Finally, the f/5 screen brightness is still sufficient to be able to focus in
the daytime.  As an outdooor lens for backpacking, or as a lens to turn a
OM3/4 into a spot meter, the f/5 makes lots of sense.  Close focus ability
isn't too great, so a 25 mm Auto tube might help.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV