Re: [OM] Re: Beattie Screens

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Beattie Screens
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 11:07:55 -0800
Lars Haven wrote:

>Screens preference is obviously a very personal thing.
>One screen I was very happy with sat in a Petri TTL camera.
>It had a microprism spot with a clear ring around it. That one
>was very easy to focus. Unfortunately it turned out to be
>impossible to make a Petri screen fit the OM body :-( I tried.

I agree with Lars: Petri made many mistakes, but their focusing
screens were an outstanding design, which for some reason were
not widely immitated. The above-mentioned microprism spot with
a clear ring, which AFAIK first appeared in the Petri FT SLR,
was later improved upon, and IMHO by far the best Petri variant
of it can be seen in the Petri FT1000 camera -- a fairly late
Petri model with a Praktica/Pentax screw mount (earlier Petris
had a unique breech mount).

In the Petri FT1000, the clear narrow ring does double duty as a
split-image rangefinder, and the screen itself is impressively
bright.

Miranda used a similar concept in its short-lived dx-3
compact SLR.  The dx-3 screen has two traditional concentric
rings centered within the matte screen -- similar to a 1-13.

However, the spot is a microprism, whereas the surronding area
is a much finer microprism, which together with the spot serves
as a split-image rangefinder.  Works exceedingly well, even with
a 90-230/f4.5 zoom mounted on a 2X TC.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA