Re: [OM] Back on the list

Subject: Re: [OM] Back on the list
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:35:33 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 02:03:56 you write:
>The new iMac may (or may not, I have no idea) be highly sophisticated
>but I can't help but be amused over the amount of press comment about
>the 'look' of the new Mac.  Usually people are swayed by the
>computers performance, not by the pretty case.

All I have to say on this issue is that here at Wellesley, all Macs
in the Obs eventually became inferior for a given application, and were
replaced with PC's.  I keep an open mind --- we use all kinds of computers
here, but always try to pick the computer best suited to a given application.
In the early '90s, that answer was often Mac.  Now it is more often PC.
Reasons why:

        1) The NuBus has far fewer cards available for "esoteric" uses.

        2) The NuBus is a proprietary bus that apple was reluctant to
        tell one how to interface to.

        (I know new Macs don't use the NuBus, but all of them did when
        we made a decision to switch to PC's).

        3) Macs are not nearly as easily user-programable as PCs.

        4) The software vendor for the Mac image acquisition program
        for our CCD's wanted an outrageous amount of money to
        add serial port support, while the vendor for a comparable PC
        program works with me to add upgrades to his product that makes
        it a better product.

Every computer cannot be all things to all people.  Our secretary still
uses a Mac b/c that is what she is comfortable with.  Our director used
to use Macs, but now uses PCs and cusses them as much as he used to cuss
Macs.

Let's please not start a flame war over Mac's vs. PC's.  These are my
experiences.  I know your mileage may vary, and after all, this is an
Olympus list, not a Mac v. PC list :)

Cheers,
--Lee