[OM] Olympus Speed-Magny?

Subject: [OM] Olympus Speed-Magny?
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 07:05:51 -0700
Once upon a time, Nikon made a line of Speed Magnys.

What's a "Speed Magny"?

"Speed" refers to Polaroid instant pictures, "Magny" refers to
"magnification." The Speed Magnys were Polaroid backs for Nikon cameras!

There were two models, one taking 100-series pack film, the other for
50-series 4x5 film. (There might have been a third for 40-series roll
film.) A relay lens enlarged the image to fill the Polaroid frame. Of
course, there was a loss of light, requiring an exposure increase equal
to the square of the magnification.

The Speed Magnys are long gone. Newton Plastics used to make a similar
product for cameras with removable backs, but they only had 2x
magnification, not enough to fill the Polaroid frame.

I have a nice selection of Zuiko lenses, and I get annoyed that I can't
use them with Polaroid materials. Does anyone else out there feel the
same?

Polaroid materials are more popular than ever, not just for proofing
(when a guy from Time took my picture two years ago, he proofed with an
NPC back), but for "creative" work (emulsion transfer, etc).

Is anyone else out there interested in such a product? If enough of us
"gripe," maybe Newton Plastics will change its mind.