Re: [OM] Hiya folks!

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiya folks!
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:34:48 -0700
On 3 Sep 98, at 20:14, Jay Maynard wrote:

> I just found this list. Whee!
Welcome!

Can you tell us how you found the list? Over the past few months,
I've been trying to selectively improve the exposure of the list, so
that Oly users such as your self can find us. I'd be interested to
know what paths new listees are following to find this little
community we have. I know that I searched for quite while a few
years back before I found the list, then hosted in Finland (or was it
Norway?) by Anders Brnylsin (sp?) Anyone know if he's still
around?

> I've been a fan of Olympus SLRs since I first handled an OM-1 as a teenager.
> I bought one of the first black OM-1s in the US, and then replaced it with
> an early OM-2 when that one was destroyed in a fire. That OM-2 has been a
> workhorse for the past 23 years.

Nice to hear of the OM-2 lasted so long. I learned on the OM-2, the
first stolen, the 2nd drowned.

> 1) How, exactly, does the program mode work? I assume that it controls both
> the shutter and the diaphragm, the latter by controlling how far the
> stopdown lever is thrown during exposure. What's got me puzzled is: WHat do
> I do with the aperture ring on the lens? There's no "auto" setting on any of
> mine, unlike, say, the Canon AE lenses. If I adjust it with the camera on,
> the indicated shutter speed moves in big jumps, and stays in each place for
> three or so F-stop settings of the lens. What's going on here?

I'm sure you'll get some good answers, but also check out the
searchable archives, found on my web pages.

> 2) What the heck is ESP metering? How can I tell if it's on or off?

I know this topic was discussed recently - should be some good
info in the archives. If I recall, the ESP is based on the OM2S&4
spot metering, except that it compares the center spot with the
surrounding average area to make a "judgement" based on contrast.

> I look forward to hearing from you folks...you all seem to be as rabid about
> the Olympus cameras as I am.
Ummm... Is it that obvious? ;-)

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx