Re: [OM] Olympus 35EC question

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus 35EC question
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:32:08 -0800
George Sears wrote:

>My 35EC takes two batteries, 640 i think. Are these still available? If
>not, is there a substitute.

You're right -- the 35EC, and several other OLY and non-OLY rangefinders
must be powered by a pair of PX640 mercury (Hg) batteries, 1.35v each.
Original Hg PX640 cells are still available in Europe.  They are rather
expensive.  Until recently, I've had a small stash, but several OLY list
members cleaned me out :-).  I should get some more soon.

Meanwhile, an alkaline substitute is available (PX640A, 1.5v, made by
Duracell, about $4.50-6.50 apiece from Radio Shack, etc.), but remember
to compensate for excess voltage and variable power output.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx