Re: [OM] Hiya folks!

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiya folks!
From: Mattias Kullmann <mattias.kullmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 09:56:48 +0200
Hello,

I have been a passive member of this list for while, and from now I hope that I
can contribute with my knoledge from now and onwards.

For my comments please see inline text.

Jay Maynard wrote:

> I just found this list. Whee!
>
> I've been a fan of Olympus SLRs since I first handled an OM-1 as a teenager.
> I bought one of the first black OM-1s in the US, and then replaced it with
> an early OM-2 when that one was destroyed in a fire. That OM-2 has been a
> workhorse for the past 23 years.
>
> I recently started haunting the Olympus auctions at www.ebay.com, and have
> now acquired several more cameras: two OM-Gs, an OM-10, and an OM-PC, all
> advertised as being dead and all running now (gee, you'd think people would
> try new batteries in a camera before giving it up for dead!), and a couple
> more OM-10s, an OM-G, and an OM-77 still broken. Lenses, too, and a few
> winders, and other miscellanea...
>
> I used to say that I could figure out any camera by playing with it for 10
> minutes. My dad's Nikon N8008 quashed that...and now, the OM-PC has me
> slightly stumped, in two areas.
>
> 1) How, exactly, does the program mode work? I assume that it controls both
> the shutter and the diaphragm, the latter by controlling how far the
> stopdown lever is thrown during exposure. What's got me puzzled is: WHat do
> I do with the aperture ring on the lens? There's no "auto" setting on any of
> mine, unlike, say, the Canon AE lenses. If I adjust it with the camera on,
> the indicated shutter speed moves in big jumps, and stays in each place for
> three or so F-stop settings of the lens. What's going on here?

Actually the program function of the PC (and 2S) is quite elegant. The camera
stops down the aperture xx0f the available max F-number, and then uses the
OTF for compensate the shutter speed so the exposure is correct. This implis
that if you do not set the lens to min F-stop (max-number), you will get higher
shutter speeds. I think Olympus made this so you do not have make a new series
of lenses to match Program mode. One drawback of this is that the OM-PC (and
2s) is noticable slower from pressing the shutter release button to time when
the picture is actually taken.

I have had an OM-2S, but (partly) due to this delay I have traded it for an
OM4TI.