Re: [OM] Polaroid NPC backs (was: Olympus Speed-Magny)

Subject: Re: [OM] Polaroid NPC backs (was: Olympus Speed-Magny)
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:15:20 GMT
Cc: Mark <om4ti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 17:57:02 -0400, Mark <om4ti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Frank,
>   Mine does not have a 24x36 cluster of fiber optics, it is a single
>large block of plexiglass. You need to be carefull not to scratch it.
>
>   Also anyone planning on buying one of these, ask the seller if the
>tripod adapter is included. The back extends far beyond the bottom cover
>anf till not allow attachment to a tripod without this extension.
>
>                       Mark

Are you really sure about that, Mark? I once carefully examined a back
like these (from NPC) which was made for Nikon, and I also used it for
one afternoon. From my examination and from the poor image quality I
concluded that the 'block of plexiglass' was indeed made up out of
optic fibers, glued or welded together.

How could you reach the desired shift of the focal plane (from the
original 35mm film distance to the longer Polaroid film distance) by
inserting a block of glass? (BTW, if you could, why use scratchable
plexiglass?)

As I see it, the only other way you could achieve your goal would be
replacing the original film by a fine ground matte, and projecting its
image on the Polaroid film. Maybe you could even use the air image and
leave the matte out altogether.
But in that case you would need one or more lenses in the Polaroid
back... Does your back perhaps have a lens built in? This would also
explain your remark on the tripod adapter needed. The backs I have
seen weren't that deep... but they were certainly heavy.

Frank.

* Frank van Lindert|Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute KNMI *
* Utrecht          |POB 201  =  NL-3730 AE  De Bilt  =  Netherlands *
* The Netherlands  |phone +31 30 220 64 54  =  fax +31 30 221 13 71 *
*                  |home: +31 30 252 22 55  =   lindertv@xxxxxxx    *