[OM] Olympus wishes

Subject: [OM] Olympus wishes
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:27:31 -0400
Responding to Ed Mall's comments, the built-in diopter is not sufficient for
me because my eyeglass prescription is about -5 and includes some
astigmatism.  Taking glasses off to use the camera is very awkward because
without glasses on I can't see much.  So I think we still need a
high-eyepoint OM and am wondering if it could be done with a relatively
minor modification (longer-focal-length lenses in the eyepiece).

But Mark Hammons is right -- what we REALLY need is a digital OM.  Olympus
makes all those nice OM lenses; Olympus is committed to digital technology;
so why not?

Cynical answer:  Because digital users insist on autofocus.  They want a
totally-automated, brain-free-operation camera.

Response to that:  So make it autofocus!  It should be easy to move the CCD
forward or backward to focus, much easier than the way Contax moves the film
plane in one of their cameras.

Does anybody at Olympus read this?

How about Herbert Keppler (of Popular Photography), who is an Olympophile?
Maybe we should write a collective letter to him.

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><