Re: [OM] Zuiko 100-200/f5 (was Vivitar Ser.1 70-210)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 100-200/f5 (was Vivitar Ser.1 70-210)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 00:32:59 -0800
Jay Maynard wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 10:12:28PM -0800, Gary Schloss wrote:
>> In Kiron's best tradition, this 70-210 zoom has an exquisite fit and
>> finish.
>
>Hm. The only Kiron I've handled is the 28-70 I picked up off of eBay, and
>that one leaves me cold...it feels cheesy, with significant slop in the
>focusing and painted-on lettering instead of engraved. Then again, I did
>have to pull the front off and clean a fair bit of grit out of the
>grooves...  Did I just get a lemon, or do they vary a bit?

The 28-70/f3.5-4.5 is one of the last lenses released under the Kiron
name, and while optically pretty good, it's rather plasticky and quite
inexpensive (I see them go used for $60-75).  A much better choice in
this focal range, and one of my all time favorite aftermarket zooms, is
the Kiron 28-85/f2.8-3.8.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA