Re: [OM] Quick Auto 310 + Bonce Grip 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Auto 310 + Bonce Grip 1
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 09:47:09 GMT
On Sat, 5 Sep 1998 16:03:13 +1000 , Wayne Harridge
<Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have just picked up a Quick Auto 310 and Bounce Grip, without manuals
>(naturally).  While the flash works OK and I have been able to figure out
>most things regarding the operation of it, I would like a bit of
>clarification in some areas.

I'll try, Wayne.

>The web page at http://www.mcs.net/~smp/photo/flash_310.htm shows the flash
>with "Remote Sensor", was this an original item supplied with the flash ?
>Where can I get one ?

It was optional, and only used for auto-bounce photography with the
OM-1 (or other brand cameras). The OM-2, allowing for TTL, didn't
really need this unit (unless in manual position...). When using the
remote sensor, the bounce grip will be very useful indeed.

You'll have to search in the 'used' market of course. I bought mine
through eBay for US$29, if I remember well.
The unit will sit on the flash shoe of your camera, and it has the
same functions as the built-in sensor on the 310 unit. The cable from
the remote sensor is plugged into the special socket on the 310
(flat+round pins). It looks much like the plug on the TTL-cord for use
with the obunce grip 1, and goes into the same socket.

>Is there a 240V (I'm in Australia) AC Adaptor ?  Could I adapt some other
>type of AC adaptor for this flash ?

I think there has been such a thing. They were probably made for all
voltages (115,220,240, maybe more). The UK ones will be good, although
you will need a plug adapter. The US ones can be used with a voltage
trasnformer (not an electronic converter!)

>Before I got this flash I assumed the Bounce Grip batteries just supplied 6V
>to the flash head, however when the BG is turned on it makes a sound like a
>flash itself.  I presume the BG includes some sort of inverter ?

The BG has its own high voltage generator. It provides 315 volts to
the flash, just like the AC adapter would do.
A 315 volt power pack 1 has also been made for this unit.
Unfortunately the batteries aren't sold any longer... they were
expensive and inefficient anyway. You could replace them by 35
serially connected 9 volt block batteries.... which would be even more
inefficient.

>What is the procedure for using the BG power ?  Should I remove the
>batteries from the flash head ?  Are the batteries in the flash head
>depleted at all when using the BG power ?

Both battery sets can remain in place. Switching the bounce grip on
(or connecting the AC adapter) will immediately give energy to the
flash, even with the flash switch in OFF position! So the batteries of
the flash are not depleted then. But if you put both switches (on
flash and BG) on both sets of batteries are used together. The flash
will be ready sooner that way.

I remember from the early years when I used this unit very often, that
I first depleted the bounce grip cells, saving the AA's in the flash
for backup.

>Does anyone have a manual for these items for which they could supply a
>photocopy ?  Have the manuals been scanned and put on a web site ?

I would have to look - maybe I do have manuals 'somewhere'. I have
loads of those leaflets...
The oldest Shipman edition (1979) describes the 310 very well too.

>Many thanks in advance for any info.

One more thing: Do NEVER use NiCads in either flash or bounce grip.
They will damage your equipment, due to bad design by the
manufacturers. There should be a warning sticker in your flash, but
that might have been removed.... so be careful.

>...Wayne

Frank van Lindert,
Utrecht NL.