Re: [OM] Re: Olympus at Photokina (translation wanted)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Olympus at Photokina (translation wanted)
From: George Conklin <gconklin@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 09:16:08 -0700
At 11:02 AM 9/5/98 +0200, you wrote:
>I have sent an email to Olympus.cz, asking about the possibility of OM-5
>to appear at Photokina. From the friendly reply I quote:

I visited the Olympus booth at this week's Seybold Show in San Francisco.
It is a trade show aimed at the pre-press world of high end digital
graphics.  I had a chance to check the specs of four digital cameras,
ranging from the 640 x 480 pixels D-220L to the 1280 - 1024 pixels DL-600L.
 All nicely conceived and market positioned.  The only item which yielded a
hmmnnnn for me was the $400 ES-10 film (2x2 slides and negative strips)
scanner.  A 1,700 dpi scan of a 35 mm slide yields an 11 MB file.  The
quality looked very good on their display monitor.  The max display with
the Olympus scanner software was 200%.  I wish they had Corel Photo-Shop 8
or an other product which would let me take a look at say 1600% and see the
artifacts.

I was amazed at the number of firms making large ink-jet printers.  Several
took rolls of paper four feet wide and could turn out prints hundreds of
feet long.  The quality was excellent - and I'm a long Cibachrome from
slides fan.

Digital is the way to go in the commercial world, and is coming our way.
I've got four OM bodies, a 1, two 2s and a 4T and scads of lenses.  Gotta
think about that scanner.

On the other hand, one firm displayed a set up you could load with 8 x 10
color photo prints as you left the office (sic).  Overnight it would scan
at high resolution, burn to a CD-ROM, and in the morning you would have a
disk costing $1.50 filled with high resolution duplicates.  It would be
great to have a 35 mm slide duplicating system like that.  I wonder what
the rental would be.

  George in Berkeley