Re: [OM] Om metering question

Subject: Re: [OM] Om metering question
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 20:44:28 +0200
Red Rover wrote:
> I have an Om-10 and a recently aquired Om-2s. In normal and bright light
> conditions, typically outdoors, both cameras' auto exposures usually agree.
> But in lower light instances, for example when my Om-10 will meter f5.6 @
> 1/30 with higher speed film, the Om-2s will consistently take longer
> exposures, quite a bit longer. And the strange thing is, the led readout
> will show a probable exposure and when I press the shutter button, auto OTF
> will take a much longer exposure then expected. This is frustrating [...]

While I have no idea as to the reason for differences in the exposure times
between the two bodies, one reason for longer auto-exposure times than indicated
in the finder can be light falling into the viewfinder from the back. At least
with the OM-1 or OM-2/10 etc. on manual (OM-2S and OM-3/4 meter differently,
does anyone know wether they have the same problem?) this is a real pain, as the
difference can be some stops. Even on auto it's a problem, as it's always
working 'against' you: the shot, you thought you could do handheld, might be way
out of that range. An eye-cup might be a solution.
Hope this helps,
Soenke, Hamburg