Re: [OM] Re: Olympus at Photokina (translation wanted)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Olympus at Photokina (translation wanted)
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 17:55:48 -0700
1700 dpi for a 35mm scan is - politely speaking - unimpressive.  Similar
devices are in the 2400 dpi range for lower cost (HP Photosmart  $359) and a
little higher - well ok, a fair chunk higher - will get to 2700 dpi (Nikon
and Polaroid).  Minolta recently introduced a model that does both 35mm and
120 format.  4x5 devices, for those who can afford them ($10,000 - gulp!),
have been around for a while.

There is no question at all the digital movement has already changed the
face of professional commercial photography.  Now the amateur market will
get the full force of the next wave as the technology becomes more
affordable and usable.  Low cost, high resolution output devices,
specifically printers, are here now.  Read/Write/Rewrite CD's are getting
cheap.  Other devices will follow soon.  An OM-Digital that accepts all my
Zuikos and neat attachments like auto-tubes and bellows......Ahhhh, the
stuff of dreams.

It this a great time to be alive or what!

John P
My Grandfather taught me to live by two rules.  Rule #1:  Don't tell folks
everything you know.

Mark Hammons <astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> commented: