[OM] Scanner resolution

Subject: [OM] Scanner resolution
From: "Michael A. Covington" <covington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 23:14:45 -0400
"1700 dpi for a 35mm scan is - politely speaking - unimpressive.  Similar
devices are in the 2400 dpi range for lower cost (HP Photosmart  $359) and a
little higher - well ok, a fair chunk higher - will get to 2700 dpi (Nikon
and Polaroid)."

Touche'.  I don't think 2400 and 2700 are distinguishable; they correspond
to 50 and 56 lines per mm respectively.  Either one will do justice to
almost any slide.  But 1700 dpi = 34 dpi, not critically sharp.  I'm using
the rule of thumb (from Leica and other sources) that a sharp 35-mm picture
resolves 40 to 50 lpmm, or sometimes better.  (Some of my Zuiko 50/1.8 shots
on Kodachrome do decidedly better in the center.)

Michael A. Covington  /  AI Center  /  The University of Georgia
http://www.ai.uga.edu/~mc  http://www.mindspring.com/~covington   <><