Re: [OM] Quick Auto 310 + Bonce Grip 1

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Auto 310 + Bonce Grip 1
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 10:37:05 GMT
On Sat, 5 Sep 1998 09:17:50 -0500, "Mark Hammons"
<astair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>One more thing: Do NEVER use NiCads in either flash or bounce grip.
>>They will damage your equipment, due to bad design by the
>>manufacturers. There should be a warning sticker in your flash, but
>>that might have been removed.... so be careful.
>>
>>Frank van Lindert,
>>Utrecht NL.
>

>Frank,
>
>Does this warning about NiCads apply to other Oly flash units of just
>the QA 310?  Would Nickle Metal-Hydride's be OK to use in any flash
>unit?
>
>Mark Hammons

The no-NiCad warning applies only to the 310 (and the earlier 300) and
the bounce grip 1. NiMHs are not to be used either in those machines,
and I am afraid that lead-gel batteries like Quantum's could damage
them too.
It has to do with the low internal resistance of those rechargeable
batteries, and the lack of a current delimiter in the electronics of
both grip and head. This design failure was corrected in the T-series
flashes and the F-280: those will operate safely with NiCads, NiMHs
and lead gel batteries.

Frank.