Re: [OM] Flash adaptors

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash adaptors
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 12:41:17 -0700
Joseph Albert wrote:
>I have a question about Olympus flash accessories, namely, I am wondering
>if anyone knows if Olympus or any 3rd parties make or made an adapter
>that has an Olympus (and also Minolta/Pentax manual focus) TTL flash AE
>flash shoe that can be mounted on a bracket and has a sync cord that
>can be fitted to an Om body.   Specifically, I want to use a flash
off-camera
>that does TTL flash AE on OM bodies but does not have a PC cord.

Hello Joseph. Nice talking to you again. If I understand your question
correctly, the Olympus T32 or T20 and a Bounce Grip 2, or the T32 and a
third party bracket will do what you wish. I find the Bounce Grip 2 to be
quite versatile for off camera flash, and it has a socket to plug in a TTL
cord that can then be plugged directly into an OM-2S or OM-4(T), or a
OM-2(n) via a TTL connector that replaces the hot shoe. A T32 or T20 can be
mounted in the Bounce Grip 2 hot shoe and will give TTL OTF flash exposure.
An additional advantage of the Bounce Grip 2 is the ability to insert four C
cell batteries which will increase the number of flashes while decreasing
the recycle time. The T32, the T20, and the Bounce Grip 2 will all use
either alkaline or NiCad batteries, the NiCads offering approximately 25%
faster recyling times.

You could also use a T32 directly on a third party bracket. The T32 has the
same type of socket as the Bounce Grip 2 and the TTL cord from the OM body
can plug directly into it for TTL OTF exposure. A T20 can also be used on
the third party bracket, but will require the use of a Connector T20, as the
T20 flash has no built in socket for the TTL cord. The Connector T20 has a
tripod thread hole on the bottom for mounting which could limit the third
party brackets it will work with, and you should note that it is
discontinued and somewhat hard to find. That and the fact that the T32 is
more powerful and offers more exposure options as well as a number of
accessories would probably mean the T32 is a better choice. The T20 really
shines when a compact and light weight flash is needed. Considering that you
are adding the bulk of an off camera bracket would seem to override any
advantage the T20 offered in terms of size.

The only disadvantage to this setup would be that you could only use it with
your OM bodies. Being proprietary, it will not work with your Minolta or
Pentax manual focus bodies. But if this is not a problem, you will end up
with a very useful setup for your OM system.

Regards,
John Austin