Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 13:14:37 -0700
>> >The digital OM-5 should of course have a 2000 x 3000-pixel array, like
>> >Nikon's best.
>>
>> I went thru a *long* argument why it will be a *long* time before ccds
>> will be as good as film for normal color photography a few months back.
>> Basically, you need 4kx4k CCD's to get to the resolution of 35mm in
>> color.   Below is a copy of that post.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --Lee
>>

>Yes, you need 4K lines to get the resolution of 35mm film. So most of the
>film scanner provide resolution around that range (2700dpi).
>
>But the digital camera is attacking the photojournalist with higher end
>digital camera and now the lower end consumer market with the one like
>DL600. Most people take photos and print them on 3R and 4R format. With
>300dip resolution on print (a very acceptable resolution), it is equal to
>1500 lines and 1800 lines. So a digital camera of resolution in that range
>with be appericated by most consumer. We photo enthusiast will be the last
>one to joint the digital group, since we are the most demanding people
>amoung the photographic group. (I always use 10x lupe to examine the
>prints)
>
>You can visit the sample photo taken with DL600 below, it is very nice. I
>have output it to my film recorder and made a 3R print. Without telling my
>colleagues no one know is was taken with a digital camera (of course they
>are not photo enthusiast).
>
>http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Digicamera/support/c1400lhq.html
>
>If Olympus didn't make a digital body for our OM lens, few years later we
>can only admire the user of Nikon, Canon, Minolta ... since they all should
>have digital camera of over 3000x2000 pixel and compatible with their
>system lenses. And most important they will be selling at an affortable
>price.
>

>C.H.Ling

We may have just lived through a golden age of photography where there was
a coincidence of amateur and professional equipment allowing for high
quality and low price at the same time. If economic and technical necessity
splits that and it is viable to mass produce digital cameras for the lowest
common denominator, then cheap digital cameras may become ubiquitous,
producing acceptable 4x6 inch prints for all and news photos transmittable
by modem. However, cameras comparable to the quality we enjoy now will
reserved for professional use or an affluent elite. Maybe with the
increased stress on quality in reproduction, pros who have not already done
so will all migrate to medium format, and 35mm will die.

On the other hand most of these discussions assume that someday digital
capture will equal today's film. That seems to assume that film has no
where else to go in the meantime.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California