Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 23:23:11 -0700
The lag time between shots has nothing to do with the download speed from
the camera to the computer and everything to do with the internal memory
buffer techniques.  The top end of digital cameras (the Nikon and
Canon/Kodak hybirds) have very large buffers that will capture the scene
almost instantly, then transfer it to flash disk or card disk later.  I
think 12 is the max number of shots one of these will buffer.

The wintel version of the Mac "Firewire" is the USB (Universal Serial Bus)
interface.  Supposedly very fast and effecient, support is so far very
limited.  We shall see if this bit of vaporware matures.

A lot of high-end commercial work is done with digital imaging systems,
especially tabletop work.  With 3K pixel square arrays fitted to view
cameras, first generation images can be made that are directly viewable
immediately and ready for CYMK separations for mass reproduction.  Similar
backs are available for 120 format cameras.

I have to agree with Doris, -  that for many photographers we are in a
period of hybridization between digital & conventional imaging.

John P