Re: [OM] Good 28-200 Zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] Good 28-200 Zoom?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 06:55:51 -0400
John wrote:

>I'm looking for a good travel zoom, probably about 28-200. Was
wondering
>what people have had experience with and like? There's a newer Vivitar
>28-210, has anyone tried that? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks

I have a Kiron 28-210 F4-5.6. It's rather big and heavy. One touch
design. It has a zoom lock screw, and a nice macro ratio (1:4 I
believe). I think this lens is rather rare, at least I haven't seen it
more than twice.
This lens is great when you want to carry just one lens and/or for
circumstances where changing lenses just is too time consuming. I've
taken some great shots with it. Specifically this summer at the Oerol
Festival, a yearly festival on the Dutch isle of Terschelling dedicated
at location theatre, street artists and arts of design. Quick changes
in focal length where a necessity for many shots. Rare as this lens is,
the funny thing is I saw at the festival a guy who had exactly the same
lens, on a Contax body.
The only real problem with such long focal ranges is there are no
adequate shades. I used a collapable rubber shade intended for super
wide angles to give it at least some protection, but discovered sorely
afterwards that combined with a UV filter it still produced vignetting
at 28 mm. I'll buy one of these thin filters someday (think they're
called Slim Line or something); the threat is 67 mm, I believe, so much
$$$ :-(.
And of course such lenses typically will have more than average
distortions. Haven't tested this, but I'd never do architecture or
repro with a zoom anyway.

"Real photographers do it in a dark room."

Hans