Re: [OM] Om metering question

Subject: Re: [OM] Om metering question
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 22:32:32 +0000
>Red Rover wrote:
>> I have an Om-10 and a recently aquired Om-2s. In normal and bright light
>> conditions, typically outdoors, both cameras' auto exposures usually agree.
>> But in lower light instances, for example when my Om-10 will meter f5.6 @
>> 1/30 with higher speed film, the Om-2s will consistently take longer
>> exposures, quite a bit longer. And the strange thing is, the led readout
>> will show a probable exposure and when I press the shutter button, auto OTF
>> will take a much longer exposure then expected. This is frustrating [...]

one point which may or may not illuminate this: I recall Amateur
Photographer magazine (in the UK) testing the OM2n and finding that the TTL
meter (ie what is read in the viewfinder) tended to under-expose as the
light level dropped.  This meant that the display would suggest 1/30 sec and
the actual value was over a stop more (1/10 or so).  This discrepancy
increased as light level got lower.  I guess the OTF metering did not suffer
with this, and therefore gave the appropriate (longer) exposure.

I gave up relying on auto-OTF for long (ie over a couple of seconds)
exposures some time ago.  Now I estimate and bracket accordingly.  For a 5
second exposure I will expose at, say 5, 10 and 15 seconds.  In the
conditions encountered, none of the results can be considered "correct" -
only the one which shows the desired balance between highlight and shadow
detail is accepted.  As and aside to this point, and adding on previous
postings, I try to keep a written record of all exposures, and after doing
this for several years am now consulting the records before planning tricky
shots such as illuminated streets or bridges at dusk/night.  If all else
fails (ie my memory) 10secs @ f8 is a good place to start from.

Simon E.