Re: [OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 16:37:54 -0700
>>>Touche' again!  I remember how the race between transistors and vacuum
>tubes, in the 1960s, was complicated by the fact that the tubes started
>getting better.  But at that point tubes were pushing fundamental technical
>limits and transistors weren't.  With film vs. digital photography it's the
>other way around -- we know the limits of our digital materials better than
>those of film.>>
>
>Tubes have made quite a comeback. They are used in extremely expensive
>high-end audio gear, and also in recording studios in mikes, pre-amps, etc.
>
>One day film may also be the last bastion of the cogneseti <g>
>

>Regards,
>

>Denton Taylor

Gee, Denton, I hope not in the same way --a technically inferior antique
medium sold for exorbitant amounts of money. It is like waxing nostalgic
for mechanical calculators. There is also something ironic in someone
claiming superior knowlege and then mispelling 'cognoscenti'.

Sorry, Denton. Could not resist a little fun at your expense. ;-)

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx