Re: [OM] Digital vs. film

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital vs. film
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:21:01 -0500
>>>We will never know the limits of digital technology, in the pass 20
>years the films only improved very little (has the resolution improved
>by two or three times?). But how about the computer and storage device?>>

I'd say that the resolution and color accuracy HAS improved 2-3x over the
past 20 years.  In chromes, the improvement has been slow due to the
superior quality that we've had with Fuji 50 and K25/64.  But it sure is
nice to beable to get similar resolution and quality in a 200 speed film as
we did in a 50/64 speed film.

How about print film?  Fuji Super-G 800 is awesome.  The wedding films of
today are fantastic.  How about T-Max?  That isn't any slouch.

Fact is, we are living in an awesome time where the films are no longer the
limiting factors in our creative efforts.  Kodak, Fuji, Agfa and Ilford are
regularily introducing new films that keep improving and pushing the
technological envelope.

One question I have, is storage of digital pictures.  Negatives and slides
are extremely cheep, small and have long life spans.  When will digital
beable to beat that?  CD-ROMS?  I don't think so--not with today's
technology.  True archival storage will remain in the analog domain for some
time yet.

Ken N.