Re: [OM] Hiya folks!

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiya folks!
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 08:54:52 -0700
On Sat, 05 Sep 1998 15:46, kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Volkhart Baumgaertner) wrote:
>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 09:35:27 -0700 (PDT), Dan Lau wrote:
>>Many others have already answered this question, but basically you set
>>the lens to the widest aperture you want the camera (computer) to use,
>>and it will stop it down from there if necessary.  For example, if you
>>have a 50/f1.8 lens, you can set the aperture at 1.8 and the camera will
>>try to choose the fastest shutter speed to make a good exposure.
>
>Sorry to contradict you here, Dan, but I think you got this the wrong way
>around. Until the moment you press the release button, your lens is wide
>open, thus giving you a bright viewfinder image and facilitating focussing.
>What happens with all OMs is that you set a stop on the lens, and the camera
>will close the aperture down to that pre-selected stop right before
>releasing the shutter, using one of the small levers in the lens mount. You
>can do the same by pressing the DOF preview button on the lens. However,
>neither the DOF button nor the lever can stop the lens down beyond the
>aperture you have selected on the aperture ring. What happens in the PC is
>that it does not necessarily move the lever all the way, so it can stop
>between wide open and the selected value. So in your example above, you have
>pre-selected the widest aperture this lens is capable of, and there is no
>way for the camera to stop it down any further. Therefore, if you want to
>let the program fully control your exposure, you must select the smallest
>aperture your lens will allow (22 or 16 in most cases). By selecting a
>larger aperture you can limit how far the program will be able to stop down,
>but you can never prevent it from shooting wider open than what you
>selected.
>

>MtFbwy,
>Volkhart

Volkart is absolutely right.  I sent that off without thinking.  With
the OM-PC, what you want to do in Program Mode is you want to tell
the camera what is the smallest aperture that you want the camera to
use, beyond which it will not go.  The OM-PC will choose an aperture
between wide-open and your selected smallest, with the appropriate
shutter speed to make a good exposure.  Sorry for the confusion I
caused.  By all means, call Olympus for the instruction manual and
you'll see how the computer selects the combinations.
        -Dan